Monday, October 19, 2009

Communications

Had a nice moment last Thurs. We had a new student join the class. One student reminded me that I needed to tell new girl about our key skill. So, I reversed the suggestion - and the "reminder" explained communicating effectively to new student - in his own words! Then we took things a step further and decided that we all needed to introduce ourselves and say "Hi" to new student, using good eye contact and positive body language. Poor girl! There were lots of smiles.

Then I noticed that in my classroom, all the African students sit to one side and the European students in the middle and to other side. I said nothing and asked students if they noticed anything about our seating arrangements. In took three observations and bingo! Students then proceeded to observe a gender imbalance in the seating arrangements. So we had a discussion of integration - racial and gender - and re-arranged our seating plan accordingly.

PS - we even got around to some English (punctuation) after what I found a most stimulating experience.

1 comment: