Teaching Wordsworth in the library of our new school - pure joy! As I had a double period, we spent the first class reading and analysing a long passage from "The Prelude". Some of the Wordsworthian register is quite archaic. So when students had a basic grasp of the new material I divided the class into 5 teams of 4 students. Each group listed words that they felt other groups might not comprehend, while making sure with the help of a dictionary that they understood the words.
Meantime I compiled a list including the words from each group and more. After 5 minutes prep time, each group nominated a representative to be quizzed. We selected a quiz master who called a word from the list to each member on the quiz panel. I adjudicted on the answers. Panelists were eliminated when the meaning of a word escaped them.
An intense sense of competition built up and panelists were well supported by their team members. Marks were awarded and charted. The team with the most marks by year end will win a prize. We had fun and I feel students have an improved grasp of Worthsworth's linguistic register.
Sunday, March 14, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment