The concept of imagery in poetry is often difficult to grasp. I've found that this type of graphic organiser really works. I ask each student to bring in at least one representation of an image in poem by the poet being studied - in this case Robert Frost. Sometimes students draw their own, some bring magazine cut-outs, a photograph or an image sourced on the internet. The most memorable ever brought in were a real lace doily and a real fishing hook (Eliz. Bishop). Then some students mount them as a poster which we display in the classroom and refer to when revising. It's really effective.
Wednesday, December 9, 2009
Information Processing
The concept of imagery in poetry is often difficult to grasp. I've found that this type of graphic organiser really works. I ask each student to bring in at least one representation of an image in poem by the poet being studied - in this case Robert Frost. Sometimes students draw their own, some bring magazine cut-outs, a photograph or an image sourced on the internet. The most memorable ever brought in were a real lace doily and a real fishing hook (Eliz. Bishop). Then some students mount them as a poster which we display in the classroom and refer to when revising. It's really effective.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment